The Problem: Standardization and Customization at Scale
For internal or external customers, the managed service provider model is based on economies of scale and a concentration of expertise. Being able to standardize your offering — including operational procedures — is critical for success.
Also, today's users have had their expectations set by popular public cloud offerings. Users are asking, "let me do it myself" as much as they are "do it for me." This expanded audience means that the self-service user experience for your operational procedures needs to be better than ever.
For managed service providers, this all adds up to an expensive development effort to create an operations console for both efficient internal operations and providing end users with self-service.
Even if you have the internal skills to do it, it is still an expensive undertaking and a distraction from your core mission.
The Rundeck Solution
Rundeck provides a self-service operations console that has all of the features that most managed service providers will need. Rundeck features a highly pluggable architecture that makes it easy to customize and extend. With minimal investment and learning curve, you can assemble the solution that fits your exact needs — ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Quickly create workflow jobs that span your existing tools, scripts, system commands, and API calls
- Leverage the existing automation tools and languages that your teams already know
- Manage the full lifecycle of each project and automated procedure using modern software development lifecycle practices and/or Rundeck’s Web GUI
- Use Rundeck built-in remote execution capabilities to manage any size infrastructure in any configuration or location
- Add you own logo and other branding using Rundeck’s configuration or more extensible UI plugins
- Use Rundeck’s built-in access control features to define the fine-grained permissions (use any existing AD/LDAP or SSO for authentication) to determining who internally or externally can create, modify, or view what jobs.
- Build “guardrails” that make it safe to handoff the execution of procedures to others using built-in features like smart option handling (defaults, constraints, pick lists, dependent options, etc.), secure key/password store, data passing between steps, log filters, notifications, error-handling, and more.
- Safely hand-off or delegate provisioning procedures (e.g. add new environments or capacity) diagnostic procedures (e.g. health checks, debug, or validation) or remediation procedures (e.g. restarts, configuration changes, data recovery procedures, or other tasks)
- Use read-only access combined with logging and notification features to give broad visibility into operations activity across your organization.
- Rundeck’s resource model learns details about your environment from multiple sources (Rundeck plugin points) so you automation can be parameterized and kept up to date
- Don’t forget that the total cost of ownership includes maintenance if you are considering designing and developing from scratch your company’s operations console
- Rundeck is the fastest way to both standup an enterprise-ready operations console (initial implementation) and created automated workflow out of your existing tools, scripts, and APIs (ongoing creation/modification of automated procedures)